- The note # one million was created in Hong Kong.
- You can vote for the newly proposed tag
name:language = ISO codeuntil June 6th.
- Santamariense proposes a new tag for livestock dips. They consist of rural structures where livestock go through to eliminate parasites, and are useful landmarks for orientation in otherwise uniform landscapes.
- User nammala writes about some interesting cases of inconsistent and detailed mapping activity in OpenStreetMap.
- Maning Sambale informs about a crucial milestone: finally emojis can be used in name tags 😎
- Mapillary would like to fill some gaps in Berlin, Germany, and therefore starts «Complete the Map Challenge — Berlin“.
- Julio May has carried out a two-day mapping workshop in the Dominican Republic for the FUNDECOR.
- The Belgian community voted Marek Kleciak as Mapper of the Month for May 2017. He has been (and still is) a pioneer in the field of 3D mapping, in the
area:highwaytagging (which was further expanded) and is strongly engaged in Nepal.
- This discussion on osm-dev mailing list compares several ways of printing a large area on PDF.
- OSM blog published the list of current corporate members. We thank them here as well for their support! We welcome further organisations to check the Corporate members tiers and contact the Foundation for further enquiries.
- The monthly CWG meeting took place on May 26th.
- From the June 2nd to the 4th, the SotM France (State of the Map France) takes place in Avignon. In addition, «OSM kids“ event have occurred in several schools from May 30th to June 1st.
- This year SotM France has a very nice additional program for students (automatic translation) All the information can be found in the wiki (automatic translation).
- SotM 2017 has published the list of talks and workshops; a detailed program is coming soon. Did you get your early bird ticket already?
- HOT considers developing a new tool for organized field mapping.
- HOT calls for urgent help on the current priority mapping tasks for the OSM response to the Ebola outbreak: validation for project #10 and #13, and mapping in project #9
- In the HOT mailing list, there is a debate on how meaningful is the tagging of buildings by a node only and the think about to display such nodes in the HOT map style.
- Stefan Keller shows all important medieval festivals in Switzerland on a map.
- OpenAndroMaps now provides multilingual maps.
- Viktor Garske announced the project WinilooC to find public toilets.
- Sven Geggus asked on the implications of the OSM Carto 4.0 changes for the German-derived style.
- Apple provides building footprints and heights under ODbL for France and Denmark
- Dana Sulit writes in the Mapbox blog about carto-cam. This tool can help designers to evaluate custom styles.
- OSRM (see also release table) has added the multi-level Dijkstra (MLD) routing algorithm in addition to contraction hierarchies (CH). This allows e.g. a fast and flexible change of edge weights or multiple parallel profiles.
|Kurviger Free *||10.0.26||2017-05-17||Various improvements.|
|OpenStreetMap Carto Style||4.0.0||2017-05-22||No infos.|
|Mapzen Lost||3.0.0||2017-05-25||Many changes, please read release info.|
|PyOsmium||2.12.3||2017-05-25||One new feature and two bugfixes.|
|Maps.me iOS *||7.3.4||2017-05-26||Bugfix release.|
|Overpass-Turbo||2017-05-28||2017-05-28||Many changes during the last days, please read release infos.|
|Komoot Android *||var||2017-05-29||No infos.|
|Maps.me Android *||var||2017-05-29||Compacter map data, new map style for driving, transliteration into Latin.|
|OSRM Backend||5.7.3||2017-05-29||Bugfix release.|
Provided by the OSM Software Watchlist. Timestamp: 2017-05-29 22:52:18+02 UTC
(*) unfree software. See: freesoftware.
Did you know …
- … the OsmHydrant map created by Robert Koch with all hydrants’ locations and features extracted from OSM data?
Other “geo” things
- The U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management releases the highest-resolution bathymetry map of Gulf of Mexico to date: it shows the dynamic geology structures caused by extended salt deposits underneath the ocean bed sediments.
- The Guardian publishes new scientific discoveries about a potential second layer of tectonic plates within Earth’s mantle. This would explain the strong earthquake activity in the Pacific region.
- What are your favorite places in the world? Found any interesting destinations you want to travel to while exploring the map? Checkout the world wonders Mapbox’s geocoding team has discovered!
- Seán Lynch calls for contributions on OpenLitterMap, as he plans to trace and model the path of litter along rain and sewage systems.
|Berlin||#CompletetheMap — Mapillary photo mapping||25/05/2017-15/06/2017|
|Taipei||OSM Taipei Meetup, MozSpace||05/06/2017|
|London||Missing Maps London Mapathon, Royal Geographic Society||06/06/2017|
|Montreal||OSM monthly meetup at BANQ||07/06/2017|
|Falkensee||108. Berlin-Brandenburg Stammtisch||09/06/2017|
|Russia||Tula Mapping Party, Tula||10/06/2017-11/06/2017|
|Manila||San Juan City Mapa-thon by MapAm❤re — Juan more time! , San Juan||10/06/2017|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle libre||13/06/2017|
|Nottingham||Nottingham Pub Meetup||20/06/2017|
|Kampala||State of the Map Africa 2017||08/07/2017-10/07/2017|
|Champs-sur-Marne (Marne-la-Vallée)||FOSS4G Europe 2017 at ENSG Cité Descartes||18/07/2017-22/07/2017|
|Aizu-wakamatsu Shi||State of the Map 2017||18/08/2017-20/08/2017|
|Patan||State of the Map Asia 2017||23/09/2017-24/09/2017|
|Boulder||State of the Map U.S. 2017||19/10/2017-22/10/2017|
|Buenos Aires||FOSS4G+State of the Map Argentina 2017||23/10/2017-28/10/2017|
|Lima||State of the Map LatAm 2017||29/11/2017-02/12/2017|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropriate.
This weeklyOSM was produced by Anne Ghisla, Nakaner, Peda, Rogehm, SeleneYang, Spec80, derFred, jinalfoflia.